August 14, 2004

Ramblings of an insane soul

I was outside just now talking to one of my good friends, and he really helped put things into perspective for me. When expressing my reservations concerning this upcoming move, one of them is that I will no longer be in a position to make a positive impact on people’s lives, and that is something I always strive for. Instead of being responsible for a certain number of people, I won’t have anyone directly. But instead, he says to think of it this way, instead of directly supporting the BN, I will be helping thousands of people indirectly.
As per normal with any conversation these days, talk turned to going home. One of the things I intend on doing when I return stateside is putting in my recruiter packet. This is something I have thought about doing for a couple of years, as it is something I really want to do. I want to go out there, and show these young kids what a difference the Army makes. When I came in 4 ½ years ago, I came in because I had the view of the Army as an honorable profession, as patriotic. College money WASN’T my first motivator, though I will admit, it is a nice side bonus. I grew up seeing my Great-Grandfather, my Grandfather and my Uncle in the Army. They were and are honorable men that I admire greatly. When I decided the Military was an option for me, I didn’t have to go into any other recruiting office save the Army’s. I knew what I wanted to be, and that was a soldier. Anything else, I didn’t have a clue about. After all, I was a rather naïve 19 year old. But in the time since then, I have never regretted my decision, though it has led me all over the world, first to Korea, then Kuwait, and now into war in Iraq. I have faced challenges, both personally and professionally, and I have grown. I am different then that 19-year-old brat that came in with starry eyes. I have changed, and for the better. I want to go out there, and show these kids just what the Army can do for them. That the Army can take them so many places, literally and figuratively.
My friend suggested I write down these thoughts and I laughed, because they sound inane, like drilled responses one would expect from someone who had swallowed the party line whole. But, as he pointed out, if it sounds stupid and silly, it must make sense, after all this is the Army where if it is illogical and silly, it must be logical and wise.

No comments: